LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® for Positive Psychology is a technique that builds on the open source concept of LEGO® SERIOUS® PLAY® and combines it with theories, evidence and practices within positive psychology.
The method improves group problem solving and rich exploration of positive psychology related topics. By utilizing Hands On Thinking method visual, auditory and kinaesthetic skills, the method requires participants to learn and listen, and it provides all participants with a voice.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® for Positive Psychology was developed by Mads Bab as a response to the lack of engaging methods to explore the great theories, research and practices of positive psychology.
Identifying five challenges with the general application of positive psychology, Mads Bab developed the initial ideas of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® for Positive Psychology in 2009. The five challenges were, and still are:
- Many PP interventions and application are talk and maybe writing, but very little sensory experience.•
- Many PP interventions and application rarely deals with the complexity of the real world
- Many PP interventions, especially group based interventions only scratches the surfaces of topics related to identity and culture.
- Very few PP interventions and applications addresses the co-dependency we have with other people
- Verbal and written information can be difficult to remember after a PP workshop
It started in 2009
After the initial idea was formed by myself in 2009 I asked a group of individuals to help me develop the prototype to what today is known as the LEGO® SERIOUS® PLAY® For Positive Psychology Method. Without the insights and expertise from this group the process would not have been as strong as it is. The group consisted of the following individuals:
- Nic Malcomson, Consultant, London, United Kingdom
- Prof. Dr. Marina Fiedler, Prof. of management, People and Information, Passau, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Lars Fend, Professor of Business Management, Munich, Germany
- Louise Møller Nielsen, Master in HR and Learning, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Charlotte Wienmann, HR Specialist, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Angelica Mueller, Investor Relations, London, United Kingdom
After testing and researching the method as well as receiving a surprising amount of positive feedback at positive psychology conferences in Denmark, USA and China the concept has now reached the maturity in order for a larger group of people to experiences it’s positive benefits.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® for Positive Psychology today
Read more in the e-book Exploring Positive Psychology with LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®
The method is now well documented in the ebook Exploring Positive Psychology with LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® also written together with Dr. Ilona Boniwell.